Physician Spouses Dedicated to the Health of Columbus
The Women’s Auxiliary to the Academy of Medicine of Franklin County, now known as the Columbus Medical Association Alliance, (“Physician spouses dedicated to the Health of Columbus”), was established in Columbus, Ohio in 1940 by a group of physician spouses, their mothers, unmarried daughters, unmarried sisters of the Academy members and widows of the members. It was an offshoot of the Ohio State Medical Association Auxiliary organization. The OSMA Auxiliary first met at Hotel Gibson in Cincinnati on May 13, 1940.
The first official meeting of the Academy of Medicine Women’s Auxiliary was held October 29, 1940 at the Southern Hotel in Columbus. The Constitution was adopted and officers were elected. The meetings coincided with the Academy meetings. Original membership dues were $2.00.
Standing Committees are as follows: Bylaws; Communications; Finance; Legislative Affairs; Membership Development; Health Promotion (e.g. Doctor’s Day Blood Drive, Physicians Free Clinic, Mouthguard, Teen Hotline Card); Philanthropy (e.g. nursing and medical student scholarships); and AMA Foundation (given to medical research and to medical student scholarships).
To cooperate with the Columbus Medical Association in the protection of public health, in promoting health education and in advancing other aims and purposes of that Association.
To unite with organizations which constitute the alliances to the Ohio State Medical Association and American Medical Associations.